Saturday, November 14, 2009

Rotary Dinner

The Flag ceremony line up.
I was confused as to what to wear to the Rotary District 7670 annual dinner, so I spent some time looking for something that would work. I found a dress which I really liked at TJ Maxx but it didn't fit me, it was too big. After failing to find anything, even with help from Teel who I work with, I realized that I could wear a long sleeve shirt under the dress and then it would fit me. That is what I ended up doing and I have to say I am glad that is what I did because it is a nice black dress and it doesn't look like it would be that difficult to take in.

This morning I drove up to my parents. Mom has been altering my Navy Jacket for Rotary and I needed to pick it up from her so I could have it at the dinner. It was really very nice in Bakersville and I got there in time for a walk with Ruff. It is always really nice to walk around the property on a sunny day and now that the leaves have all fallen the views are amazing. After the walk and lunch mom and dad took an impression of my hand for a piece they are making. I didn't want to go to the dinner smelling like alginate so I showered, but I still smelled like a dentists office. We decided that since it was so nice we should go and walk around Swiss Pine Lake before I had to leave. It was a nice walk, but in the shade I could feel the cold air moving back in. Ruff was really excited about getting a second walk. Now that he isn't getting car sick as much we take him places. After the walk I headed out to the Rotary Dinner. I stopped and changed at Papa's and then drove down to Hickory.


I got to the event on time which I thought at first that I might not. The place where the event was held was not as nice as where I work, but it was bigger. As soon as I got into the main room someone came up to me and asked me if I would be part of the flag ceremony. Each one of the flags in the ceremony represents a country in which the Rotary district 7670 has a tie either they have a scholar from there, a scholar studying in the country or they have a project which they are working on in the country. I was originally going to carry Australia but there wasn't a flag for Australia, so I ended up carrying Guatemala. Everyone kept asking me if I was from Guatemala, which I am not. I had to keep telling people that no I was not from Guatemala and I didn't know where I was going to be studying yet. I ended up sitting with a group of people I didn't know from Marion. They were all very nice. We talked about Lenard Cohen and Doc Watson. It was an interesting dinner as I think they were all surprised that I knew who they were talking about. The food at the event was not all that great and it really wasn't very filling. The speaker spoke mostly about Rotary and I found it hard to follow what he was talking about and to remain interested as it really seemed like he was just talking about his books and not as much his experiences which would have been better. He was a good speaker but not the most interesting one from my perspective. I think it was good for me to go to the dinner but the drive back to Asheville was long and I'm just really glad to be back and ready to go to bed.

The Banquet room

No comments:

Post a Comment