Sunday, February 7, 2010
After Leaving the Hump Hostel
After leaving the Hump hostel on Thursday Matthew and I stayed at a couch surfer's. A couple JuJu and her husband Bravo. They were extremely nice to us and the next morning took us to find a place to stay. On Thursday we had wanted to extend our stay at the Hump but were unable to as they didn't have any rooms available. We looked at a room in an apartment but didn't take right away as it wasn't exactly in the part of town which we wanted to stay in. Which is why we ended up couchsurfing. For a while on Friday I thought we were going to be homeless. But we weren't. Friday was a good day. JuJu and Bravo helped us out a lot. After they helped us with the hotel they took us to Green Lake where all the sea gulls come from Siberia in the winter. It was really nice to walk around that part of town. We walked around at the lake for a while they have walk ways through the lake. It is really pleasant after all the people in the Pedestrian Mall. I had an interview at 2 at Haina training school. They are looking for someone more long term than Matthew and I. It looks like we may have a hard time finding work here. After the interview we went back to the Hump to collect our luggage and take it to Camellia Hotel. We got a taxi and he took us a little ways and then dropped us saying we needed to go in the opposite direction from our hotel. We ended up having to take a bus which is what we were trying to avoid. We did make it to Camellia without to much trouble. I didn't stay awake to much longer as I was really tired. I don't think I'm quite used to the time here yet. Saturday Matthew and I met with LongTian a couchsurfer in the center of town. She showed us the two pagodas and took us to dinner at 'The Brother's Jain' an Over the bridge noodle shop. The story of over the bridge noodles is that a husband was studying for exams on an island and everyday his wife would walk across the bridge and take him his noodles and chicken broth. One day she lost her balance and the noodles and soup combined. This according to LongTian is how over the bridge noodles came about. They were good but some of the stuff we added seemed strange to me. I ate a bug. It took a long time for me to work up the nerve to do so. I think I thought about it way to much. It didn't really taste that good to me. It was fried so I think I tasted mostly the oil which I don't like. All of the food here has lots of oil on it which I don't like that much. LongTian was very helpful and for once Matthew and I relaxed and had a good time out in the city. We didn't have to worry about getting food or anything like that as she was with us and we wouldn't get lost and she could help us with food. It was nice to have that sort of security. After dinner we went back to the Mall and found another couchsurfer who was performing with fire. She was easy to find as she was a white girl dressed scantily swinging fire around and so she drew quit a bit of attention. After we talked with her for a bit LongTian's father came and gave us a ride to the hotel. They were both so nice to us. They kept offering to help us if we needed it. I felt like I didn't want to take advantage of her but she really is nice and I'd like to get to know her more. Sunday Matthew and I were going to meet another couchsurfer but she didn't show up. We aren't sure what happened. In the end we went and looked at some Chinese style apartments which were really expensive for what they were. Also, they were a bit grubby. After we looked at the apartments we walked back to the city center and looked for postcards in the bookstore. They didn't have any. No one here seems to have postcards. I'm not sure why it is strange to me as I see lots of people who aren't from here. Even with LongTian's help I couldn't find postcards. In the mall at night they have these helicopters which have lights and you pull and they fly. I really wanted one as it looks fun. I didn't get one though. During the day there are kites. They look really high and it is hard to see them. I really think it would be fun to have a kite. I haven't seen any for sale though so that stops me from buying one. Matthew and I are trying to be thrifty until we get jobs. I am really considering getting a violin. I really miss being able to play. I looked at some on the way back to the city center. I found one I liked but they wouldn't sell it as it was cracked. It looked like it was hand made to me. I also liked the way it felt better than the one they wanted to sell to me. It was 800yuan. That is about $120. It was factory made and I didn't like it nearly as much. It didn't sound horrible but it wasn't great. I would have been happy with it but I would have wanted to see if I could talk them down a little. I was silly and didn't look to see the maker. Not that I would have been able to read it if I could have seen it. For dinner Matthew and I went back to 'My Favor Restaurant'. I wanted to get veggies but they said no they didn't have them in limited English. In desperation so that I would not have to eat a generic :"meat" which the menu said I opened the phrase book and pointed at "I'm a vegetarian". This did get a result as she pointed to a meal. I ordered it even though there was a "meat" there but when it came there was no meat. It wasn't great. I'm so tired of rice noodles. So far I haven't found a rice noodle which I really like. I think they are kind of bland. I shouldn't be saying this as it is bad, I'm in Yunnan and I should love rice noodles, they do. When we were leaving my stomach started hurting. I was hoping by the time we got to the hotel it would feel better. It didn't really get any worse but I think that the oil on the food bothers my stomach sometimes. Back at the Hotel I read a short story about China and going back to your home town. It was a good story and I enjoyed reading it. I might try and find more translations of the author later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment